Last updated and effective: June 20, 2013
- Information collection and use
- Registration and Profile Information
- Community Forums, User Content, and Posting Content To Third Party Sites
- Facebook Connect And Other Social Media Platform
- Referral Features and Gift Certificate
- Information Ace my grades Collects Automatically When You Access The Services
- Cookies and Log Files
- Web Beacons
- Embedded Scripts
- Mobile Use
- Information sharing
- Educational Institutions
- When You Request That We Share Your Information
- Service Providers
- Administrative and Legal Reaso
- Business Transactions
- Sweepstakes, Contests and Promotions
- Updating Your Account Information AND Control over your profile
- Consent to transfer
- Questions or Comment
Information Collection and Use
- Registration and Profile Information
When you register with us or choose to participate in one of our features on our Sites or otherwise interact with us, you may be asked or required to provide certain information, which may include Personal Information (which is information that can be used to identify or contact a specific individual, such as your name and email address), account information (such as a password or other information that helps us confirm that it is you accessing your account) and demographic or other information (such as your school, gender, age or birthdate and zip code). We will also collect payment information (typically, credit card account information) if you choose to purchase products or services through the Services. Any information combined with Personal Information will be treated as Personal Information.
You may have the opportunity to create a public profile that is available to others on the internet (“Public Profile”), through which you can post or upload information about yourself, which may include a photograph, information about your academic and work history, your interests and activities and other information. Your Public Profile may be indexed by and displayed by internet search providers when someone searches for your name. Ace my grades does not control how frequently third-party search engines update their indexes; consequently their information may be outdated and still available for a period of time even after you discontinue use of the service. If you do not want your information to be viewable by educational institutions or related third parties, you may close your account.
- Community Forums, User Content, and Posting Content To Third Party Sites
The Sites may provide you the opportunity to participate and post content publicly in forums, through interactive features and through other communication functionality (“Community Forums”). You may choose, through such features or otherwise, to submit or post photographs, videos, questions, comments, suggestions or other content, (collectively, “User Content”). Your User Content may also be posted in your Public Profile. You may edit or remove information on your profile. You may contact Ace my grades to remove information that you have posted publicly in forums.
- Information Third Parties Provide About You And Social Media Platforms
Information Ace my grades Collects Automatically When You Access The Services
Like other websites and online services, we and our analytics providers and other third party service providers may collect certain “Usage Information” whenever you access and use the Services. Usage Information may include the browser and operating system you are using, the URL or advertisement that referred you to our Services, the search terms you entered into a search engine that lead you to our Services (if applicable), all of the areas within our Services that you visit, and the time of day, among other information. We may use Usage Information for a variety of purposes, including enhancing or otherwise improving the Services and our products and services.
In addition, we automatically collect your IP address or other unique identifier (“Device Identifier”) for any computer, mobile phone or other device (any, a “Device”) you may use to access the Services. A Device Identifier is a number that is automatically assigned to your Device used to access a Service, and our servers identify your Device by its Device Identifier. Some mobile service providers may also provide us or our third party service providers with information regarding the physical location of the Device used to access a Service. Usage Information is generally non-identifying, but if we associate it with you as a specific and identifiable person, we treat it as Personal Information.
Usage Information is collected via tracking technologies, including:
One type of cookie we use, known as a “persistent” cookie, is set once you’ve logged in to your account on the Services. If you do not log out of your account, then the next time you visit, the persistent cookie will allow us to recognize you as an existing user so you will not need to log in before using the Services. Of course, if you are using a public computer or sharing your private computer with others, you should log out of your account after each visit. If you log out of a Service, you will need to re-enter your password the next time you visit in order to log in to your account. We also use a cookie which functions as a “session” cookie, meaning that it is used to identify a particular visit. Session cookies expire after a short time or when you close your web browser.
Web Beacons: We, as well as our affiliate program partners, third-party tracking utility companies, and service providers employ a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. web beacons/web bugs), that help us better manage content on our site by informing us of what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of web users for our affiliate program. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. This information is used to help improve the overall quality and experience of our website.
An Embedded Script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Services, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your computer or other device from our server or a third party service provider and is deactivated or deleted when you disconnect from the Services.
In addition, we may use a variety of other technologies that collect similar information for security and fraud detection purposes.
If you use the Services through a mobile device or our mobile application, your mobile device ID, your mobile carrier, and your physical (GPS) location may be transmitted to Ace my grades. You agree that Ace my grades may store and use that information for security purposes (for example, for user verification and to ensure that Ace my grades’s APIs are being used appropriately) and, if available, for purposes of assisting you in locating nearby shipping stores, schools or other places of interest. Ace my grades does not share your location information with third parties except for a location service provider Google Maps. If you wish to no longer allow Ace my grades to track your physical locations you may turn this off within your device settings. When you place an order through the Services, you may be able to opt-in to receiving text messaging reminders from Ace my grades. If you choose to do so, you must provide to Ace my grades your telephone number, which Ace my grades will store and use to send reminders to you. You may always opt-out by replying “STOP” to one of the text messages received. You also acknowledge and agree that use of the Services through a mobile device may cause data to be displayed on and through your mobile device which may be viewed by your mobile carrier or other access provider.
- Educational Institutions: We work with colleges, universities, scholarship providers and educational institutions (“Educational Institutions”) to provide targeted recruiting and outreach to some of our members. In addition, you may indicate that you would like to receive additional information from Educational Institutions or other third parties and we will then share your information with those parties so that they may contact you per your request. We are not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of third parties, and, if you later decide that you no longer want to receive communications from a third party, you will need to contact that third party directly.
- Service Providers. We will share your Personal Information with third parties to carry out your instructions and to provide specific services to you or to us as part of our Services, but subject to confidentiality obligations which limit their use and disclosure of such information. If you purchase any products or services, our billing partner will receive billing and financial information (e.g., credit card numbers) necessary to process your charges, including your postal and e-mail addresses, depending on your payment method.
If you choose to use the Powered by Ace my grades® kiosk at a participating Authorized Ace my grades Affiliate, the affiliate will be provided with your personal information, including your contact information, the books you are renting, and rental fees. These affiliates are permitted to use your Personal Information only for purposes of processing the transaction and providing the service.
- Sweepstakes, Contests and Promotions. We may offer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions (“Promotion”) that may require registration. By participating in a Promotion, you are agreeing to governing terms, conditions or official rules, which may contain specific requirements of you, including allowing the sponsor(s) of the Promotion to use your name, voice, likeness or other indicia of persona in advertising or marketing associated with the Promotion. If you choose to enter a Promotion, Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion, including, without limitation, in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law or permitted by the Promotion’s official rules, such as on a winners list.
UPDATING Your Account Information AND Control over your profile
You may be able to review the information you provided to us on a Service and make any desired changes to the information, or to the settings for your account on that Service, by logging in to your account for that Service and editing the information. You also may be able to limit the information you receive from us by adjusting your settings. Please note that the default setting in any Public Profile on a Service may be that the information in your Public Profile is available to
Ace my grades takes commercially reasonable security measures to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. For example, when you enter sensitive information such as a geolocation data, credit card number and CCV2 number on our checkout forms, that information is encrypted using secure socket layer (SSL) technology, to help protect the communications between you and our payment partners.
However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, as in any real-life scenario, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
CONSENT TO TRANSFER
The Services are operated in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect will be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using the Services, or providing us with any information, you fully understand and unambiguously consent to this transfer, processing and storage of your information in the United States, a jurisdiction in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as those in the country where you reside and/or are a citizen.
Questions or Comments